Discussions over Tea (Of course, cutting maar ke)

Thursday, September 04, 2003

SOCIAL DISTRESS : Inertia - The Eighth Sin


Ramananda Sengupta has written a beautiful article over at Rediff. This applies to most of the readers of this page, though some of you are based abroad.

The crux of the article is that with age in India comes cynicism and ennui and disdain and most importantly, that loss of idealism. I can see myself in a few years, sitting with my family, settled in that comfort of home, not wanting to take risks in doing something for the abysmal state this nation will be in those few years. I'll be sitting there, with my pet quote "Akela aadmi kar bhi kya sakta hai?" (After all, what can a single man do?). I would be part of the system, part of that chalta hai attitude which pervades our nation.

I'm one of the accused as per the article, I've never voted in my life. On the other hand, I've seen people masquerading as others and being taken/led to polling booths by political unions to vote in the name of absentees. So the next time, we decide to skip the polls, you're making a difference. You're adding one vote to that corrupt politician's kitty who leads innocents/poor to mass-voting.

End of Post

Comments: Post a Comment

XML



Ankh's Fotolog



Bharateeya Blog Mela

Black - Strong

AnarCapLib
Ashification
Filter Coffee
Jivha - The Tongue
Kingsley
Living in India
Nerve Endings Firing Away
Smorgasbord
The Examined Life

Kashmiri - Nutty

Adventures with Yardboy
Amethyst Reflections
Blockhead

Nilgiri - Easy

Gandalf
Journeywoman
Lucis
Patang
Random Ruminations
Sid's muses
Speed...Bump...Stop..
When I paint my masterpiece


Concept :"Discussions over Tea"


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com