Discussions over Tea (Of course, cutting maar ke)

Tuesday, June 03, 2003
Isn't hired help awesome?
Where else but in India, would you get cheap labour to come and make your food for you at abysmally cheap rates. Yes, so I got a cook. Yesterday was her first day. And thanks to her, I got rotis, dal and sabji AND got to sit and read more than 100 pages at a time. Otherwise it used to be - Come home, cook, sweat, cook some more, eat, *tired yawn, too tired to read - so watch the idiot box, sleep. How exciting, right?

I'm reading Tamas right now. Doing about 150 pages I was wondering last night, how things just don't seem to have changed much. Socially, I mean. You still have religion that will incite the most dormant sentiments. Godhra/Ahmedabad was an example of that. I still wondering what a protected life I led there in Ahmedabad. We used to hear about riots occasionally during the two years I was there, but never did it inconvenience us at all. Yet, religion was such an underlying insecurity that it just took a spark to explode.
Back in the 1940s (per Tamas), it was the same. Internal bickering amidst political parties, exploitation of the lower classes, the religion of hatred dividing Hindus and Muslims and a lack of belonging to one country and one "racial stock" (expression taken straight from Tamas), the mohallas which were gathered to generate pockets of violence using lathis (reminds me of the VHP's Trishul programme).
What makes my god greater than your god? What gives us the right to kill?
Have you ever wondered what religion the Chinese follow? I did, some time ago, and had to look up the net. Confucianism, Taoism and Buddhism. Three very non-rigid religions. More of a philosophy rather than a religion.
At least they don't have to fight over them.

Quote for the day : Good God, how much reverence can you have for a Supreme Being who finds it necessary to include such phenomena as phlegm and tooth-decay in His divine system of creation? ( (C) Joseph Heller)

End of Post

Comments: Post a Comment

XML



Ankh's Fotolog



Bharateeya Blog Mela

Black - Strong

AnarCapLib
Ashification
Filter Coffee
Jivha - The Tongue
Kingsley
Living in India
Nerve Endings Firing Away
Smorgasbord
The Examined Life

Kashmiri - Nutty

Adventures with Yardboy
Amethyst Reflections
Blockhead

Nilgiri - Easy

Gandalf
Journeywoman
Lucis
Patang
Random Ruminations
Sid's muses
Speed...Bump...Stop..
When I paint my masterpiece


Concept :"Discussions over Tea"


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com